With Father’s Day less than a month away, we’re excited to celebrate the role all of the #mauricesdads play in shaping the kinds of #mauricesmoms, daughters, granddaughters, and women we are today! Like the incredibly unforgettable, compassionate, and visionary dad that continues to shape the life and philanthropic efforts of our own product manager, Bri, and her mini me.
In addition to following in her dad’s footsteps as a great new role model to her daughter, Penelope, Bri continues to keep her dad’s spirit alive by giving back to the Duluth community he cared so much about.
1. Describe your dad in one sentence. I’ll remember my dad as a loving father, visionary leader, witty prankster, epic storyteller, compassionate friend, and all-around amazing human.
2. How has your dad shaped you into the person you are today? I hope that I have even a fraction of the selflessness and compassion that my dad possessed. He was passionate about the environment and human rights, and worked tirelessly to make the world a better place. Since he passed away four years ago, I have become much more involved in volunteering. I like to think I am keeping his spirit alive by giving back to others and to the community he cared so much about.
3. Best dad advice you ever received? Be courageous and stand up for what you believe in.
4. One of the biggest lessons you learned from your dad? Live a life without regrets – spend your life doing what you’re most passionate about and with those that you care most the about.
5. Favorite things you shared with your dad? My dad was an amazing storyteller. From the time my brother and I were very little, my dad told us stories of his life, as well as stories he made up with fictional characters that aged as we grew up.
6. If you could relive one memory with your dad, which one would it be and why? I wish we could relive my wedding day. It was such an amazing day full of love spent with our family and friends. I’ll have memories of my dad singing and dancing burned into my memory forever.
7. Being a new mom…how are you alike and different from your dad? When I am spending time with my daughter, Penelope, I try to be really present just like my dad was when spending time with me. Like my dad, I am also trying to expose Penelope to adventures early on in life – she went on her first hike a few days after she was born and her first concert shortly after.
8. Describe what it has been like to watch your own husband transform into a new dad? It has been amazing to watch Brian become a dad to Penelope. A few weeks after Penelope was born, I overheard Brian telling Penelope how beautiful she was. In that moment, I fell in love with my husband all over again.
9. Father’s Day is less than a month away…how will you be celebrating? Since my dad passed away, it has been a hard day for me, but I am looking forward to my husband’s first Father’s Day. We will likely start the day with a big, homemade breakfast followed by a long family hike in the woods! I’ll be sure to tell Penelope some stories about her grandpa…