With Halloween just around the corner, we couldn’t think of a better time to treat yourself to something sweet. And our guest blogger, Cyd Converse, from The Sweetest Occasion, has just the thing—homemade Halloween candy bark recipe plus tips and tricks to display all those yummy layers of treats. Whether it’s recipes, family friendly Halloween party ideas or fashion finds, Cyd Converse is all about inspiring everyone around her to live a life as beautiful as imaginably possible. And if you’re anything like us, your imagination and taste buds are about to take off running the moment you see all the DIY Halloween inspiration below…
Greetings, friends! Cyd Converse here from The Sweetest Occasion and I am so excited to be sharing my take on a fun, quick and easy Halloween treat with you. We’re making Halloween candy bark, which is not only a perfect Halloween party snack, but also a cool, unexpected way to use up your leftover Halloween candy. It’s a cinch to make and yet still fun enough for the kids to give you a hand, too! Mix and match your favorite Halloween candy with nuts, pretzels or even potato chips to make a seriously tasty treat your friends and family will love.
DIY Halloween Candy Bark
- 20 oz (or roughly 4 cups) of dark chocolate morsels
- 2 cups Halloween candy, roughly chopped
- Begin by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, carefully melt dark chocolate over a double boiler, mixing often with a rubber spatula until fully melted and smooth. Alternately, you can microwave in a heat seat bowl, microwaving in 15 – 20 second intervals and stirring in between to ensure even heating.
- Once fully melted, carefully pour melted chocolate onto the center of your baking sheet, then use a rubber spatula to gently smooth out until roughly 1/4” thick.
- Recruit the kids to help you sprinkle your Halloween candy (or toppings such as nuts or pretzels) across the surface of the melted chocolate.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the fridge and chill for an hour or overnight. Remove from the fridge and use the back of a spoon or similar to smash the bark into pieces. Alternately you could use a knife to cut into irregular shapes.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you’re planning a Halloween party, I also wanted to share six fun (and easy) tips for creating a fun, Halloween party display that will impress your guests while being sweet and simple to pull together.
- Add a centerpiece – start by using a smaller table, sideboard, bar cart or dresser to create instant impact. Next, make or display a cool centerpiece by adding a bit of height with a tall and chic Halloween centerpiece. A vase full of branches from the backyard will do the trick or you can see my tutorial for making this one here.
2. Display food on cake stands – cake stands are a great way to display food and treats, creating different levels and making things seem really special by putting them on a pedestal (literally).
3. Use a cool table runner – anchor everything with a table runner that matches your color scheme. If you don’t have one, buy inexpensive cheesecloth and drape it over your table for an instantly spooky look.
4. Mix metallics with black – to create a Halloween vibe that is goth-like and spooky without being too creepy for the kids, mix and match metallic finishes with black.
5. Use a tray to hold glasses or mugs – cluster drinks, glassware or cool copper mugs on a tray to easily create a DIY drink station.
6. Throw in fun accessories – adding a few extra little touches (like paper straws, cocktail napkins or coasters) is a great way to pull everything together effortlessly and inexpensively.